Painting Santa




I have been working on the Vintage White Christmas canvas paintings and now for the matching Santas.

I found these wonderful unfinished chalkware Santas to paint.

Painting Santa, originally uploaded by bluebirdsandteapots.



These chalkware Santas were created using vintage chocolate molds. I purchased the Santas although I have been tempted to try to make them, but these were so beautifully detailed I decided to be satisfied just to paint them for Christmas gifts.

I have been fascinated with painting chalkware ever since I took a workshop during a collector's weekend at the Vaillancourt studio. Judi Vaillancourt designs a new Santa collection every year and Vaillancourt folk Art is a collectible treasure known throughout the country.

I used white acryllic paint as a base coat and then used oil paint to finish them. Then I used white glitter paste that Martha Stewart sells in Michael's. I found that Twinklits Diamond Dust looks just like the glitter on Vintage Santas. I used some Winter Wonderland Snow at the base.




This Santa I decided just to use glitter on his boots and the bag on his back. I'll use the snow on the base when the paint dries.


This Santa looks more Vintage so I covered him with diamond dust glitter.

Painting Santa and listening to Christmas music made me feel like I was in Santa's workshop today. A lovely way to plan for Christmas. This year feels like the Christmas when my sisters and I spent the Christmas in the Hamptons at my mother's home. None of us were married yet, and we sat around and laughed and decorated the tree together. I hope my sisters and my mom enjoy these Santas. I hope they feel the love and memories that I feel this Christmas.

I found myself the last few years getting lost in making Christmas for church, shops, and last year a large Christmas fair. In the end I rushed to get my shopping done for the people that matter most to me. This year I have decided to just appreciate my family and simplify my commitments. I am making my gifts like I did when I was young. I wanted to remember "Just In Time For Christmas" what Christmas is about, and to be full of joy and count my blessings and remember how much I love the people around me.

The music for this post is Just In Time For Christmas.

Alison Gibbs said...

The Santas are beautiful. I am starting to love these blue Christmas decorations. I am doing blue decorations for my swap partner in Deck the Halls Ornament swap and loving the blue.
Alison

Unknown said...

I agree Alison, this year I am so taken with pastels, glitter, everything vintage and quaint. I saw a wonderful aqua cottage in Room Service and fell in love.

Anonymous said...

Love your Santas! Makes me wish I still had aqua in my living room instead of red.

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Those little Santas are gorgeous! I've been catching up with your blog and have to say that I also love The Nutcracker ballet. I used to go with friends every Christmas. Your post on New York struck a chord with me too. I lived there with my husband for 3 years when we got married and this is the only time of year that I miss the city. Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog and for your good wishes. It's nice to be back blogging again! ~ hugs, Lynda ♥

Sweet Remembrance said...

Oh my gosh...I love the color of your Santa's! So very charming...
Priscilla

P. said...

We feel already at christmas, don't we?

Unknown said...

I love the pastel colors too. When you are making your gifts you have to think about Christmas early. But I find that it makes the joy of Christmas seem alive and long enough to enjoy. When I wait until after Thanksgiving, Christmas always seems so rushed.

Anonymous said...

Just so sweeeeeeeet!
Love the colors!

xo,
Kim

tea time and roses said...

Karen the Santas are beautiful! I love the colors you chose, reminds me of a snowy white Christmas...just lovely. Thanks for sharing all this beauty us...

Smiles to you...

Beverly

Mary said...

Love your Santas, especially the color! Such beautiful colors are festive yet calm -- like a silent night...
xoxo,
Mary

mrana said...

I love your blue and white Santas and theme! And yes, Christmas is a wonderful time to get creative :)

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -