Nesting in New England

Nesting In New England
The last bits of Christmas from the inside of our house have been organized and put away. Everything always looks so empty when the tree is down and all of our Christmas collections are safely back in their homes. I realized my nest needed some new focus.

















My baker’s rack in my kitchen looked so bare without all the Christmas fuss. It is such a long way until Valentine’s Day. Living in New England means lots of snow in January and February so Spring decor is too soon. So I declared it Snowman season. It gave me an excuse to leave up bits of Christmassy twinkle garland until I can come up with a Valentine’s Day twinkle garland. Although I was inspired by Andrea Singarella on her photostream on flickr.

My daughter Ashley made the sweetest snowman ornaments in ceramics class. They were a Christmas gift for me and my husband, so I barely had time to enjoy them.








I was in search of inspiration today, and after looking through the pages of a bushel of books over a nice cup of coffee, I decided to take a car ride to my favorite town Concord. I needed an “Artists date”, the date Julia Cameron taught me from her book The Artist’s Way. I realized with Christmas shopping, cooking, wrapping and family time I hadn’t really been alone to regroup in quite a while.

I set out actually to my favorite place ever called Nestings on Main in search of a Bingo board for a new crafting challenge and some bits and bobs to inspire me to nest. I came home with wonderful collection of quail eggs, a bit of rafia, some tags and some vintage cards. Oh yes, they had the Bingo card and many other incredible finds. Arriving at their shop, you climb up an outdoor staircase above Cafe On Main, which is a lovely cafe and coffee shop. Once you walk into this old doorway you feel that you are on some movie set for Out of Africa. I loved the way the character form that movie decorated her home. Inside Nesting on Main you find Vintage, Vintage, Vintage and the theme of birds, nests, and quail eggs is scattered about.

Vintage papers, treasures, trinkets, journals, letters, jewels, and decorator pieces make you feel that you could stay for a month and still discover things you missed seeing. I have to walk about at least twice in order to feel satisfied that I haven't missed a treasure that I must take home. They told me that they will have a web site soon, and I will be sure to add their link to my sidebar. They are anyone’s mixed-media, collage and decorating resource. The way that they present their wares is breathtaking. I often wish I would remember to take my camera there so that I could share the adventure.

My creation
I was inspired by Teresea McFayden who designed Winter-Bella Zine to use my glass jar as a birdhouse. It looked so empty and lonely when I removed all the Christmas balls. So, a bit of artificial flowers, rafia, a few quail eggs and ribbons and tags to finish off the jar suited me just fine. With my cottage painting of Maine back to it's original home above the mantle, and a few bluebird old favorites...the place was beginning to feel cozy again.
















Creating a bird's nest using a bit of artificial flowers, rafia and a few of the quail eggs looks rather nice inside the glass jar.
My creation



100_1352This Vintage card with bird nests really caught my eye.

So, tonight when everyone is fast asleep I’ll create my craft challenge using my vintage bingo board. I feel inspired and my create spirit is renewed.

Have a great dayThe name of the song for this post is The Love Nest.

Nesting In New England
Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Karen, it's funny how empty everything feels afer all of the christmas decorations have been packed away.
Love the nest. Look forward to seeing your bingo card artwork.
Alison

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I wish I could have been with you on your shopping trip! That store just looks so charming.
Stay warm!!
Penny

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Those eggs are so delightful! Thanks for visiting my blog by the way : )

oxox
Jennifer

Kathy said...

Hi Karen,
Did you borrow books from my bookshelves? I recognize every precious one from your photos! Gee, I love decorating books! But not nearly as much as I loved the Artist Way. Each of Julia Cameron's books in that trilogy have meant something to me creatively. I, too, am longing for an artist date! Yours sounds wonderful--and inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, I just popped over to let you know that there is an award waiting for you over on my blog :)
Thank you for always making my day!
Blessings, Suze xXx

Adla said...

Hi Karen,

Thanks for popping by to say hello. I love your blog too, Love the way you capture your pics in a collage and have them colour coded. I can't get enough of birds, theirs nests and all that twiggy charm. So so pretty!

As for the cupcakes, yes I do ship internationally, At the moment I have an offer in the shop in which You buy 2 cupcakes and pay shipping only for one :) You can have a look here at www.vintagedelights.etsy.com. Hope that helps :)

Well I will definitely be back to visit you blog and add it to my blog roll.

Cheers, Adla

Unknown said...

Well I went in search of inspiration yesterday, and it seems I found it when I read all these lovely comments and visited your blogs. Suze what a nice surprise, I just went to read your blog and this award really made my day. But then again you always make my day better. Blessings, Karen

Cape Cod Washashore said...

How fun to hunt for thrifty goodness! I'm loving all your quail egg treasures! I read in a NYTimes article that birds are a big theme for crafters at present.

Thank you for joining the challenge! If you click on the photo, it will enlarge. Then just right click on your mouse to save it to your computer. =)

Mary said...

Oh Karen, how beautiful! I just love the nest, and the lovely speckled eggs. And the tags with the bird stamps on them, too. Charming!
xoxo,
mary

Teri said...

Karen, I think you are suffering from 'empty nest syndrome' but not after your shopping trip :) I have also read "Artist's Way' and love those 'artists dates'. Now I need one after reading your Blog. Everything looks so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

With a boutique called theVintageNest I fell in love with this post. Love all your lovely nesting ideas. ~ Lynn

tea time and roses said...

Hi Karen!

Thank you so much for your help and links regarding Wordpress. Your info is indeed helpful, and I will be visiting those links on tomorrow...thanks so much! :o)

Karen I just love your little nest, and the bird tags are quite lovely. You know, there is a bare feeling in the home once all the decorations are gone and it takes me a few days to get used to the bare look. I love the decorations, and wish I could keep them up all year! :o) Enjoy your week....

Smiles...

Beverly

kari and kijsa said...

Love al the nests- such wonderful spots of freshness after the holiday decor has been put away!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

K said...

Karen, you have made such a lovely display on your mantel, it really does compensate for putting away all the wonderful Christmas decorations. That shop in Concord sounds just fabulous! Wish I could have visited it with you!
Hope you can enjoy these chilly winter weeks, although I hear you have had quite a thaw this week, too!

Anonymous said...

Your glass jar looks so pretty, Karen! I love the snowmen on the baker's rack too. I would have loved to browse through that shop with you! What a perfect way to get inspired. ~ hugs, Lynda xo

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -