Fruitlands, Outdoor Wednesday


Every Wednesday Susan from A Southern Daydreamer hosts Outdoor Wednesday. An opportunity to visit the outdoors in other parts of the globe without making reservations.


DSC05019

DSC05019I like to walk down the paths where Louisa May Alcott walked.

DSC05028

DSC05019Nestled on a road which overlooks the Wachusett Mountains is home to Fruitlands,

DSC05008

DSC05019and the most glorious sunsets you have ever seen.

DSC05035

DSC05019Harvard, Massachusetts is as quaint a place as Concord,

DSC05029


DSC05019and once the home of the Alcott family as well.

DSC05004

DSC05019I have been reading all about Fruitlands in a book I took out of the library Bronson Alcott's Fruitlands by Clara Endicott Sears. Published May, 1915.

DSC05025

DSC05019Inside Louisa's Diary of Fruitlands speaks of sweet secrets to the place.

"Thursday, 12th - After lessons I ironed. We all went to the barn and husked corn. It was good fun. We worked till eight o'clock and had lamps. Mr. Russell came. Mother and Lizzie are going to Boston. I shall be very lonely without dear little Betty,and no one will be as good to me as Mother. I read in Plutarch. I made a verse about sunset:


DSC05007

Anna thought it was very fine; but I didn't like it very well."


DSC05042

DSC05019I had taken my book with me when I visited Fruitlands, and read overlooking the grounds. I watched the sun set behind the Wachusett Mountains and thought about what it must have been like to have lived during that time on this magnificent stretch of land.

DSC05017

DSC05019The song for this post is Orchard House, from the soundtrack of Little Women.

DSC05019

P.S. When I returned home, I got lost in Painting The Roses Red over at For The Love of Old Books.
Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Dearest Karen, I marvel at the Fruitlands with you! What a wonderful journey to a special place. Through your blog I have been around the world!! I have been on balloon rides and to Japan. I have seen magnificent gardens, and downtown Boston! I have been from the barn to the ocean with you...and I thank you friend.
Blessings~Sharon

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful post, Karen. The photos are breathtaking. The book sounds marvelous. I too, wonder what it was like to live back then. All the beauty in the rolling hills and sunsets was just the same...

xoxo
Jane

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What an interesting book this must be. Your photos are beautiful, and I love that you read from the book while in the place. laurie

Vee said...

Karen, thank you for taking us along on your trip to Fruitlands. It's a charming spot that I hope to visit for myself one day.

Nancy Jo said...

Karen,
Nice post and pretty music.
I sent you an e'mail so you can send me your address.
Nancy Jo

Kifus said...

Lovely post and beautiful pictures!
Thanks Karen!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! I enjoyed it very much, and the photographs are stunning! Thank you, thank you for sharing this with us, Karen!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Anonymous said...

what a romantic journey you just took me on...

There's a bunch of Little Women in blogland that will be as pleased as I!
thanks for sharing that...

I just did a post on another great writer today, Jane Austen...

see you
carmelina

Unknown said...

Oh how nice. I live at the base of this wonderful mountain about 4 miles away. My husband and I visit the top a few times a year on our motocycle. I have been offered to walk it but it is so much faster on the bike. It is breathtaking in the fall. I have lots of books on Louisa Alcott and less than an hour away from Concord and have yet to visit this lovely place. My goal for this year. Thanks for showing this wonderful place.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Deaest Karen,

I never got to see this part of Mass. when I lived there; we were poor students, busy all the time, and rarely traveled to the interior of Mass. but spend whatever vacation time we could afford on the coasts. Thank you for this lovely visit inside your world.

Bisous ma belle, Anita

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

What a wonderful place!
Spectacular scenery...



~ Gabriela ~

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful post Karen! I'd love to visit Fruitlands one day.

Did you see the recent PBS special about Louisa May Alcott? It was fascinating! She was a very complex woman.

♥ Pat

Ebie said...

Fruitlands is a beautiful place. Love the scenery!

Light and Voices said...

Sigh, such a lovely place to walk. Your journey with the camera shows your passion and what a photographer's "eye" you have.
Joyce M

Regina said...

Beautiful place! I would like to see in one day.
Stunning as always!
Thank you for sharing Karen

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
"Fun In The Sun"

The Little Red Shop said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us! I've been thinking about reading some of my Alcott books next...now you've really inspired me!

: )

Julie M.

Beverly said...

Karen, your post is lovely. You always make me feel as if I were beside you. Your words and the setting make my heart sigh with joy and peace.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Karen, A visit from you for my lavish events is always welcome because you love the "fla fla" so much as I do! Don't we all need an escape....

Have a lovely day, Anita

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Beautiful photos Karen! What fun to get a little peak at Louisa May Alcotts life!

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog today and for giving that link to the Shopkeeper at "Nesting On Main". I have heard of that shop before, it sounds so charming!

Karen

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing the magic of Fruitlands.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What pretty photographs! Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh..you found an older copy of an Austen classic...

it's official
I am soooo CLASSICALLY jealous of you! lol
what a treasure


ciao
carmelina

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I recognized the tune right away. As Little Women in book and movie form is one of my most beloved joys.

What a gift to be able to visit such glorious places. So quaint and magical and dreamy.

I would love to visit, and I do say, visiting via your blog transported me so well, that I almost thought i was really there...

Warmest ~ Vanessa

Love Bears All Things said...

How need to have the book along on your visit. Thanks for sharing these sights with us.
Mama Bear

♥ Kathy said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures! Happy Outdoor Wednesday

LiLi M. said...

Thanks for taking me to the fruitlands. I always enjoyed Louisa Alcotts books now it is a pleasure learning more about her world. Thank you!

Kathleen Grace said...

I had never heard of Fruitlands! How interesting! How desperate for entertainment must one be to describe husking the corn as great fun, lol!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Karen,

It is really interesting to visit parts, near you ~ thank you for taking us along.
Looks like a very special place and the book sounds great.
Congratulations to your winner, Jenny.

Hugs
Carolyn

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -