One lovely vignette, a favorite old shop, and a treasured book

DSC05053_1





would be lying if I said that my love of displaying objects had not been influenced by the wonderful vignettes found in Nesting On Main in Concord, Massachusetts.

DSC05098_1

DSC05082When I brought home this Vintage cigar box, a few small bird feathers, and "Nesting" inspiration, I couldn’t wait to fill it this box with something wonderful.

DSC05060_1_1


DSC05082I was decorating my own mantle and creating vignettes, having brought home so much inspiration and a few treasures from Nesting, when I noticed my treasured copy of My Robin by Francis Burnett.

DSC05060_1_1

DSC05082In the book THE SECRET GARDEN there is the robin who befriends the character Dickon and Mary.

DSC05097_1

DSC05082Following the release of the book, Francis Burnett received many letters asking about the Robin. She then published this little book in 1912.

DSC05096_1

DSC05082In the book, she told of this little robin visiting her in her Kent rose garden in England. He was so friendly that he would sit nearby, sometimes even on her hat, while she wrote. He became a friend and she loved him dearly.

DSC05094_1

DSC05082After arranging my mantel,

DSC05064_1_1

DSC05082I took the book and used this beautiful Antique painting of her robin to create some special one-of-a-kind cards. I don't like to take these special treasures apart, so I simply scan them and use my digital paintbox to restore and repurpose the artwork found inside an Antique book.

DSC05071

DSC05082Safely tucked into the Vintage cigar box, finished with a bit of tissue paper, lovely bird feather and some new bird labels I designed, it was ready to share.

DSC05070_1

DSC05083


DSC05082Inspiration seems to have a life of it’s own, one lovely vignette, a favorite old shop, and a treasured book can lead one down a path of sheer joy.

DSC05084

DSC05082There are five designs in all, and they all use the artwork found in the book by the famous painter and illustrator, of Alfred Brennan. One is a watercolor, and the other is an etching.( A Nineteenth century American painter, etcher and illustrator. His work is still cherished today and found in many art collections).

DSC05086_1

DSC05082I took the two artwork pages and designed borders and reworked the one that was of the etching.

DSC05081

DSC05082Inside I added a small page telling the story of MY ROBIN. Each card is embellished with vintage ribbons that I found in Nesting. The top of the box is decorated in vintage ribbons and a tag.

DSC05082




hen Frances left Kent she was sad that she would never see The Robin again.

DSC05080

DSC05082Yet her gift of writing, and memorizing her sentiments,

DSC05076

DSC05082allows all of us to see him again and again through her words.

DSC05079

DSC05082Alfred Brennan truly captured the beautiful

DSC05077

DSC05082details through her words.

DSC05078

DSC05082The name of this song is
If I Could See You Again
.



t is my hope that by restoring these prints and setting them free onto cards, I will be keeping her beautiful story, MY ROBIN alive. This treasure is listed on my etsy shop along with some other new items.

“Then I knew he was a little Soul and not only a bird.”

DSC05082Frances Hodgson Burnett


robin,the-story-of-the-book-MY-ROBIN

Anonymous said...

Hello...what a peaceful and lovely journey that was to read through your post! Your sentiments, set to your blog music was enchanting! Thanks for sharing your vignette with me.

goodnight
carmelina

LiLi M. said...

Love your vignetttes! And the altered cigarbox too, thanks for inspiration again. Have a lovely day!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Karen,
I don't know how I missed your beautiful Wordless Wednesday post, but this post is absolutely stunning with all of those darling bird gifts. What a charming motif for a such an array of beautiful gifts. Thank you Karen, for coming by for my Valentine's post; some old pictures that bring back so many fond memories and inspire to keep looking ahead for more. God bless you dear friend, Anita

Kathleen Grace said...

How fascinating Karen! I never knew about this other little book and now I am so curious to see it. I will look for it at the library. I think it is wonderful that you give these old illustrations new life and purpose and share them with us:>)

Lori said...

Karen, that "my robin" book is gorgeous...what a treasure...love your bird themed mantel vignette, it really looks so sweet!!!

Snap said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Karen. Lovely post.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Karen,
The music with this post is lovely! I had never heard of this book and I loved hearing your story. Your cards are beautiful. They must have already sold, I went to the etsy link and it was gone.

Just beautiful!
Penny

Steph said...

"The Secret Garden" is one of my all time favorite stories. I have never heard of "The Robin" and would love to read it too. Your mantle and cards are just lovely.
Today I was revisiting CuteAbility because of your sweet "pink post" and found this Secret Garden necklace:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39722092

and I also found this sweet robin photo following up on a OWOH post.

http://idigressblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/here-couple-of-my-first-sorta-maybe.html

Your post just brought these right back to mind. What treasures you possess and create (within and without)!

DaCraftyLady said...

love the song. :) I'm #1092 on the blog ride, love your blog hope you get a chance to come visit me...
Debb

Ann said...

Karen,

I just happened upon your blog and what a pleasant surprise! First, the music is wonderful!!! I also love your vignettes and all the birds. The robin book looks beautiful and your cards are stunning! Very beautiful post!

Ann
www.theannadventures.blogspot.com

Casey said...

Another creation of absolute beauty my friend!!! Thank you for this delightful post! How I love reading your blog. You always manage to bring so much life to my days!!

Sally
xoxoxo

Rhondi said...

The cards are so beautiful. What a delightful idea.

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -