Fashion Illustration

VINTAGE RUNWAY BLACK DRESS leopard jacketBACKGROUND JACKET

My creationBefore I left for Vermont, I went to the Boston Museum of Fine Art.

vintage runway french script black dress

 My creationI went to see a special exhibit on Fashion.

Vintage Runway black dress, with black jacket fur trim

My creationThe first one was Scaasi, American Couturier.

Vintage Runway french script with hat

My creationThe other one was a magnificent photo exhibit Avedon Fashion 1944-2000.

Vintage runway fabric

My creationI thought this one might make dreamy fabric, click on the image to see how it looks in fabric.



Before I left the museum, I visited the book shop,

vintage runway french script black dress

My creationand got lost in the abundant selection of fashion books.

VINTAGE RUNWAY BLACK DRESS leopard jacketBACKGROUND JACKET

My creationOne of them really caught my eye.

little black dress vintage runway with purse



My creationIt is called Masters of Fashion Illustration by David Downton.  He has a gorgeous web site and blog.

My creation

My creationI was totally inspired, thinking about all the wonderful ways you could combine Vintage with new trends,

My creation

My creationlike combining short and new jackets with a balloon mini black dress, 60's inspired.

My creation

My creationWhile I was visiting my mom, in the evening I would get lost in fashion illustration.


My creationThis was something I adored doing, when I was seventeen.  Have you ever thought about what you adored at seventeen?  It's nice to revisit old passions.

My creation

Karen at seventeenMany things have changed since this senior photo was taken in 1967.  Yet I still have the same desire to daydream...as if I were seventeen.  The song for this post is a something familiar I can slip back into...At Seventeen. 


1967 Fashion Illustration by Karen Harvey

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOOD MORNING, Karen!

Oh dear, there is a wealth of beauty here today! The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, your fabrics which BTW, would make LOVELY OUTFITS!!! And your lovely picture and drawings. What a way to get started on this Monday!!! Anita

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Oh gosh Karen when I think of all the plans I had at seventeen....*sigh*...
I actually did quite a few fashion illustrations back then too and enjoyed it a lot. I had always wanted to work in art but it was not a career choice that was encouraged. Thankfully now at almost 60 I can what the heck I want!!
I love the illustrations you showed, very lovely!
Tina xo

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love, love, love this post! My favorite is the leapord print....I do remember this song. At seventeen, I had such small dreams....they are much more grand now.
Hugs,
Penny
p.s. having a giveaway....come enter!

Joyce said...

Weren't you quite the "hottie" at seventeen. This was one of my all time favorite songs way back when. I think that I may have to search it out. Had a great time today. Sorry we had to cut it short. How rude. We so need to take better care of ourselves, don't we. Here's to longer mental health days!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Karen,

YOU have always had the right words for me. Whether is it happy, sad, challenging or otherwise, your wisdom has always set my mindset in place. You have helped finish off my idea for my next blog post with your comment....thank you!!!! BLESS YOUR HEART DEAREST! Anita

Vee said...

First of all, I lov the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and would've enjoyed this show. Gosh, doesn't seventeen seem so long gone? I can't remember what I dreamed of then... Perhaps it'll come back to me. Off to see your link.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Karen,your fabric designs are always so pretty and fanciful.

We are around the same age :) When I think back to what I dreamed about at 17 I'm happy to say I accomplished many of those dreams..they were simple dreams, but they made me happy.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Karen, I love these fashion illustrations. So chic! Loved seeing your Senior picture too - you are so pretty. 67 - a very good year - my sr. yr too! laurie

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -