Surrender


Last night as I was about to go to sleep, I had a heavy heart. This morning when I awoke a gentle whisper reminded me that I must surrender things that trouble me, because I cannot control other’s decisions. I cannot stand in front of the people I love and keep them safe from traveling down a wrong path. I was reminded that the Lord came to set us free, it is written in
Matthew 11:29-30 “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls for my yoke is easy and my burden is light”.

I started thinking that I must live as if I did not have a care in the world...my cares need to be lifted up in surrender. I was reminded of a prayer about surrender. This prayer has been translated into many different words. The recovery programs use this prayer to help people who are dependent on substance abuse to surrender to a higher being. My favorite translation though was written in the 1700’s by a theologian named FRIEDRICH CHRISTOPH OETINGER (1702-1782)

“God grant me the detachment to accept those things I cannot alter; the courage to alter those things I can alter; and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other”

I like this one because in our time we believe that we have the ability to change, but alter means something more meaningful to me. The words “the things I cannot alter” suggests to me to accept something that I cannot make a change to.”

I believe the wisdom in this prayer speaks to me of detaching myself enough from circumstance that I can walk through life in Joy. As long as I know what I can or cannot alter, I will accept my lot in life and go on to alter only me. Surrender is a wonderful thing, it is the way God intended us to live.

I read in the book of Psalms
“Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall”.
Psalm 55:22
Lin said...

Wonderful words and images ...!!! Some times this 'letting go' can be mighty difficult ...

Unknown said...

I think letting go when it involves the people you love is the most challenging of all.

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -