Pink Saturday


I was inspired to paint this little girl in a garden years ago. I found wonderful models of what I was looking for in an old copy of Victoria Magazine. Painting in oil on canvas is a joy because I can create much more texture than using watercolor.

As I began to paint the composition I noticed that it took on a life of it's own. I started noticing how much the garden was taking on characteristics of Giverny. Giverny, a place I long to visit some day. Claude Monet is my favorite painter, and I can never read enough or visit his paintings in museums or in books to satisfy my hunger to know more.

DSC06141

Lily-birdieI researched some things about Giverny, and much to my surprise Lily had been painted many times by Monet.


DSC06140


Lily-birdieI wrote a post with all the history I discovered HERE.

DSC06142

Lily-birdieWhen I finished the painting of Lily in Giverny, I became very fond of her and the history of her life. Whenever, I look at this painting now I don’t just see it as a painting of a little girl, but her connection to my favorite artist, Claude Monet.

DSC06139

Lily-birdieI was so taken with the history of Lily that I named the painting after her. I changed the original white chair and table in my painting to reflect the similar green garden furniture that Monet used in his garden. I also studied photographs from books dipicting many of the female visitors and family members wearing lovely hats and beautiful white summer frocks. So, I added a hat for Lily and hung it from her chair, and tried to render her frock with a bit more frills.

Lily

Lily-birdieI was in my studio yesterday,and I placed Lily on my easel and thought, she really needs more paint. I am going to add some more detail and love, and well, I just love an opportunity to paint and dream of Giverny, and Monet's Pink house against that amazing garden.

Monet and his faeries with faerie dustPlease visit Bev from How Sweet The Sound and read and see the many pink posts written to celebrate today. Lynn from The Vintage Nest is one of my favorite ladies in the land of Blog. She was one of the first people to leave a comment on my first post. Lynn always joins Pink Saturday too, so if you want to be enchanted, please stop by The Vintage Nest. The song for this post is from French Kiss, sung by Kevin Kline, La Mer.

Lily on a Pink Saturday
The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Karen Lily is just precious! I wanted to stop by early (or late as is the actual case in real time) to see your PS post, and you never disappoint! Loved seeing this so much, and I want to wish you a very Happy Pink Saturday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Wildflowerhouse said...

Lily is so special. I love her sweet little legs not touching the ground as she sits in her special dress. Just lovely Karen. Have a beautiful weekend. Sharon

Vicki said...

Hi, Karen,
I love Lily, too. You are such an amazing artist, and I am in awe of your talent!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful painting with us!! Blessings to you!! Vicki

Regina said...

Happy Pink Sunday Karen. Wonderful and amazing paintings.

LiLi M. said...

Who could not love your Lily de Giverny? I certainly do! I'm so anxious to see how you can improve this painting, as I think it's sheer perfection already! Thanks for letting me meet and enjoy Lily, happy pink Saturday to you!

a woman who is said...

I have an old post you might enjoy ;)

http://inagarden1.blogspot.com/2008/06/day-trip-to-giverney.html

A day trip to Giverny. I love your painting. I think you got it just right! Truly worth a trip there and a stop in town at the American Art Museum. Your lovely post was a sweet reminder of an amazing day.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Karen, although you have a distinct style of your own, you really captured the essence of Monet here!Lily is just gorgeous but what is striking the most, is your LOVE that shines through. You are an established artist, and I can see why. Not only is your painting exceptional, your confidence shines through. You know your subject and you have a CONNECTION with it. Bravo. Thank you for the kindness and love you give us all with your beautiful work! Blessings, Anita

Duni said...

Wow, Karen. This painting of Lily is very special indeed. You have amazing talent. I also admire the works of Monet and Renoir...

Alison Gibbs said...

Karen what an adorable piece you have created.
Have a wonderful weekend
Alison

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh, Karen, you are so beautifully gifted...thank you for sharing your fabulous art. I love this little girl and all the history you present! Thanks for sharing and have a HAPPY PINK DAY!

Have you visited my new FREE 50'S RECIPE BLOG (charmsofdays.blogspot.com)? Hope to see you there!

Kathleen Grace said...

I have to say this could be one of my favorite paintings of your that I have seen. The texture on the ruffles of Lily's dress are so beautiful and the whole painting is gorgeous!

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, dear Karen. And, thank you for introducing everyone to our dear Lynn.

Oh, how I would love to visit Giverny - and I often do in my dreams. What an amazing gift God have us in Claude Monet.

Your painting is incredible. I can feel the love.

Elena said...

You're a very talented lady. This painting is so lovely. I love the colours & the mix of pink & mauves on the whites - beautiful.

Happy pink saturday! Have a wonderful week.
ciao for now,
Elena :)

Snap said...

Wonderful, Karen. I enjoyed meeting Lily!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Sweet Karen,
Thank you for your kind and generous words of love! Yes, I am so grateful for the dance that the Lord has given us all, and it is such a joy to have been down that road and give the gift of life and love to others! I pray that my students dance gracefully in their performance of life and remember their old teacher! God bless you dearest one. Anita

Unknown said...

Oh Karen, what a beautiful painting! I love Lily too! You are so talented. Thank you for sharing this with us too. It is always so neat to learn the history of things!!
Have a beautiful weekend!
Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Well gee...now you have gone and made me all teary eyed. :) Thank you Karen for those sweet words. You sure made my day. Soon as I saw your post I thought of Monet before you mentioned him. Not too long ago, on one of my treasure hunts, I found an antique child's art journal. It was supposed to teach a young child how to use watercolors and draw. It's a fabulous old book and I immediately thought of you when I started going thru it. Happy Pink Saturday Karen and I hope your day is the best. ~ Lynn P.S. We are going to have another grand-daughter in December...a Christmas baby....how about that? And I just bought her 4 new pink outfits the other day. :)

Betty said...

Lily is beautiful! I am also a fan of Monet! One day I want to visit his gardens in Giverney. Have a wonderful pink Saturday!

Rebecca said...

Oh, I just love Lily! You are so talented!! Happy Pink Saturday!

Back Porch Blessings,
Rebecca

peggy gatto said...

I just added you to my Pink Saturday post as a site to visit! I was taken by your lovely painting! Hope you get even more visitors!
Hope you will come by my PS!

RobinfromCA said...

Oh, Karen, you know how much I love your watercolors and now, Lily has stolen my heart! I can just imagine her swinging her legs as she waits patiently for a companion. You have such a gift and I'm so happy you share it with all of us!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Robin

vickie said...

Wow, Karen, the "Lily" picture is gorgeous, Happy Pink Saturday!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

She is soooo sweet. Have a great weekend...m..

Dreamgirl said...

Lili is so pretty. You are so talented!
Happy Pink Saturday

claudie said...

Lily is precious to say the least.... just beautiful Karen.
I love your blog.
Love the little sweet dress also.
Happy PS
Love Claudie
xo

Sarah said...

Karen, I love your style. Lily is a beautiful painting! I enjoyed reading the history as well. Thanks for sharing your creative talents on this Pink Saturday. I'm off to explore more of your blog. ~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and cheery,Monet is one of my favs!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Such a dainty little miss in her lacey gown. The textures you captured are beautiful Karen. And the accompanying music the icing on the cake...
Thanks for sharing a sweet moment captured on a canvas.
Susan

Claudia said...

What a lovely painting, Karen. I just love Lily and the inspiration of Giverny. Thank you for sharing her with us. Happy Pink Saturday1

Char said...

That is beautiful Karen. I love Lily, she is so sweet, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

♥Mimi♥ said...

Lovely Pink Saturday post and sweet blog, too. Woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground so even thought this isn't Saturday I really needed a boost! Today you made me smile...

Sorry, I didn't get to see everyone yesterday. I had important business. My 11 year-old grandson was playing football and he wanted Mimi to go to the out-of-town-last-of-the-season-game. THEY WON AGAINST AN UNDEFEATED TEAM! WOO-HOO! 35 - 17☺

Hope the coming week blesses you with sunshine, happiness and good friends.

Dr. Denise Tucker said...

I love Lily! My grandmother's name was Lily.

Lori said...

Karen, i think that is one of your most beautiful paintings...i love how you did the close up shots, because you can really see all of the texture and layering of the paint...Lily looks so sweet and pretty in her lovely white frock...the colors are so pretty too...thanks for your comment at my past post...i have to tell you though, no stitching was involved...i am not much of a seamstress...that is all scissors and fabric glue...

Claudia said...

Oh my dear friend-- she is stunning.

You need to get her just as you would like then produce prints of it her... i would LOVE one.

Dont you think she would look divine next to my original water color I have of yours?? ;)

I love visiting your spot in blogsville. You are so classic and peaceful.

You are inspiration personified.

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

CC said...

I can't tell you how lovely I think this is. What a gift you have..and what an absolute pleasure it was to view your painting. It's just simply gorgeous.
Happy belated Pink Saturday and have a wonderful week.

Joyce said...

OMG Karen- She is just the most darling little thing ever. You really have a talent for capturing the innocence of children. Lily is definately one of my favorites.

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -