Pink Saturday

Memorial Day Sky

Today is September 11th and we give tribute to the men and women who lost their lives on that day.


We give tribute to the families who bravely carried on in the wake of a storm that our country has never known before.


I think today we all reflect on where we were that day when we learned of what was going on in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania.

Fall sky

Our family was living in Toronto, Canada at the time.

Blue sky, puffy clouds and the Berkshires...a sun roof moment


The day before I sat in a beautiful park, just basking in the clear blue skies and the beautiful gardens.

Blue Skies

When all of a sudden stormy gray clouds began to appear and a rush of wind kicked up making all of us park-dwellers find shelter.


As I drove in my car towards home it began to storm,  with heavy wind and rain.


I remember thinking how quickly the winds of change can take what was beautiful and turn it into a raging storm.   Never for one moment did I realize what foreshadowing was being given for tomorrow.


The next day on September 11th I was out at a mall buying my daughter's birthday present.  I stood with strangers as we watched on the television in that mall the collapse of the World Trade Center.

Vermont Winter Sky

I watched in terror knowing the magnitude of what had just occurred.  Worried about the people taking the Path train from New Jersey into the World Trade Center.  Thinking of the numerous people I knew of there, that might be in jeopardy.

I love New York

I worked on Wall Street and had friends and clients in the World Trade Center for many years while working there.  I can't tell you how many times I had joined friends at the restaurant at the top of the World Trade Center.  How many times I took the elevators to pay a client a visit.

Reflections

My friend told me later the next day of the cars sitting in the parking lots with no owners to claim them in Connecticut.  A typical commute for people who commuted into NYC for their jobs.

New York, New York

Story after story emerged for my family, for my husband and for myself, learning of the friends we had lost.  All that my husband and I wanted to do, was come home to America and stay here.

The Angles of Architecture

I pray for all of you who were touched by the tragedy of 911.  I pray that we stay safe.  I thank all the men and women who have been responsible for keeping us safe since that day, a day which is etched in all of our minds and hearts forever.

Pigeons under an eagle's wings

I am sure that angels stand by today and watch over all of us, angels that were there that day, who lost their lives, yet keeping watch over us now.  The song for this post is Angel Standing By.



Sky over Stowe


Bev from How Sweet The Sound and others will be paying tribute to 911.  Please join them.

Our lovely Pink Lady Pat from Mille Fiori Favoriti as always...creates the most wonderful post, filled with historical facts, beautiful photographs and insight that only Pat can share.



Tete said...

Karen,
Thank you for sharing your view of the tragedy with us. I did not know anyone involved or have never been to New York.
But I remember watching and being the most afraid that I have ever been.
I am so sorry for all of your losses.
Hugs- Tete

Sherry from Alabama said...

What a great post. Wishing you a blessed Pink Saturday.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

With tears running down my face I thank- you for this beautiful post. It was a life changing day for so many . I will never forget all the stories I heard about all those people. The ones who lost their lives, the ones who helped in so many ways, the children and other family members left behind. ... I will be praying this week-end.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! We will never forget!
Blessings,
Shelia ;)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing this moving tribute with us today.
It was such a tragic event as we all looked on in disbelief at the news footage and seeing it happen.
Sending prayers and love to the ones that lost loved friends and family.

Hugs
Carolyn

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Karen,

I'm sure it was an odd feeling to think of how many times you've been in those towers...and of course, so sad to have actually known some of those that perished at the hands of these hateful people.

We can only hope for peace..what a world we would have if only mankind could agree to make peace.

Stephanie ♥

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Karen..thank you for inspiring post..Happy Pink Saturday Blessings Denise

Vee said...

A moving tribute... So many stories to read, so many stories that we'll never know them all in this lifetime...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a lovely post my dear friend; I was so wrapped up in my week at work that I haven't even looked at the calendar, and my post this weekend is much to frivolous for this occasion, and I so apologize. Thank you for the reminder. Love, Anita

Anonymous said...

Gosh Karen! I was in New Jersey with Ajay and we could see the smoke from the towers across the river. It was heart breaking!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Karen Sweetie...
A beautiful share as always. I love the song you added and the photos to compliment your story. It gave me God bumps just reading.

Yes America changed that day, and we will never be the same again. The question of our borders shouldn't be a question after having gone through all of this that our Country endured. We were to kind and allowed to many "Liberty" in our country, and in doing so, we lost many lives. We must be more careful.

I have never been to New York, or stood and gazed at the beauty in the photos so many have shared today, but I do feel as though I know from the magnitude we saw that day 9 years ago today.

So beautiful Karen Sweetie. So beautiful. May you have a blessed Saturday. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

Nancy said...

Such a beautiful post. Perfect song for this day - one of my favorites. It's also on my playlist. Oh such a sad, sad day that day. It felt like our world had ended...in a way it did...life as we knew it then. Hugs, Karen. I always love coming here. xoxo Nancy

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My sweet friend,

Pearls are so symbolic of miracles of life; a grain of sand that becomes more beautiful with layer upon layer of shimmer and shine. And of great worth, fine friends are pearls indeed.

Anita

Jeanne said...

Hi Karen your heartfelt post about 911 is beautifully written. We will always remember what we were doing on that sad day. The shock has really never gone away. Watching the effort to find someone alive tore me to pieces. I pray for all who lost loved ones that day.

I read Pat's beautiful post and was moved by the lovely things people did to remember the lives that were lost that day. I am sorry for your sad losses of people you knew. We know one young man who was engaged to my niece's best friend Este' He was almost out of the building when he was told to go back because all was ok. He was at his desk talking to Este' when the building came down. She is still grieving for him.
So many tragic stories out there. I pray God can give them peace.

Love, Jeanne

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thank you Karen! This was such a touching post to read. I hope by doing acts of kindness we can honor the memory of all those lost on 9-11. {{hugs}}}

D. Jean Quarles said...

What a lovely post. Happy belated pink day.

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -