Pink Saturday and a trip down Memory Lane


happy-pink-christmas-11This time of year I always remember the different places that we have  lived at Christmastime.  I believe that one of my favorite Christmas memories is when we lived in Canada.

happy-pink-christmas-11It was a Christmas Card Christmas...

happy-pink-christmas-11We lived in a place called Oakville in Ontario and during the Christmas holidays it was so beautiful.

nancy-jo-white-christmasOakville is surrounded by Lake Ontario and the Lake Shore homes are right on the water.


World-Santa-7
nancy-jo-white-christmasIt is a glorious place and whether you are doing your Christmas shopping in the quaint little shops, participating in the Christmas festivities on Lakeshore Drive or just taking in the view, it is a perfect Christmas card.

home-sweet-home-kathy's-skate


happy-pink-christmas-11The Christmas holidays begin with the tree lighting ceremonies downtown and the horse-drawn carriage rides and special bus tours.





Our home was so cozy, very near the next-door-neighbor's houses, which helped make such a close-knit neighborhood.








happy-pink-christmas-11We lived in a section of Oakville called Fairway Hills.  The decorations on all the houses were spectacular and on Christmas Eve buses arrived touring our homes.

DSC04485


Candlelight ReflectionIlluminators were dropped off early Christmas Eve for all of us to light and by evening our little village was completely aglow in the spirit of Christmas.

Oakville is so charming, it is where they filmed The Santa Clause in 1994.

World-Santa-12



happy-pink-christmas-11I was so excited when I found the site for Fairway Hills, you can listen to them caroling  and they have a special video of the Festival of Lights.


nancy-jo-white-christmasI couldn't have asked for a lovelier Christmas card.  The neighbors, the memories and the sights and smells of Christmas in Oakville will live in my heart forever.


World-Santa-10
happy-pink-christmas-11Merry Christmas Oakville and thank you for giving me a Christmas Card Memory that will last forever.


Christmas 2000This is a photo of our Christmas tree in Canada.  Everything is bigger in Canada including the ceilings, we were able to have a twelve foot Christmas tree and have plenty of room for our tree topper.

happy-pink-christmas-11Today is Pink Saturday and Bev from How Sweet The Sound is hosting, so please stop by and say hello.  Make sure you stop by and visit Bella, from Bella's Rose Cottage, she has written a lovely post for Pink Saturday.

World Santa 29

Spoonflower's contest this week is based on the theme Candles, I entered
my Fairy Lake, fabric which was designed with a Canadian Christmas memory.

nancy-jo-white-christmasNothing says cozy like the song for this post,  Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire, especially when it is sung by none other than Mel Torme.


happy-pink-christmas-11
Blondie's Journal said...

Your memories are warm and rich! It sounds like a beautiful place and time. I enjoyed all of your sweet pictures!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

Being a proud Canadian, I am so glad you were happy here. Oakville is a really nice area. Happy Pink Saturday. Hey, I'm having a giveaway!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Karen, Thnaks for the pretty trip downmemory lane!! You have have lots of lovely memories and decor!! The little victorian booy in the garland of bead is my favorite ;_0 Thnaks for the shout out!!
Have a wonderful night!! Happy Pink Saturday!
Bella

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared your sweet memories with us! The town does look postcard perfect...loved the link you shared,too! Your 12 foot tree was splendid...I can't imagine decorating one so tall...that's awesome!!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and wishing you a great PSat.

Jillian of Bella Rosa Antiques is one of my favorite blogging friends!

L, dana

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Karen, my friend! I love the story of your Christmas in Oakville! Sounds like they know how to do Christmas right! Your tree was beautiful! I have never been to Oakville.
My son attends U of T and so he is familiar with all the sights and sounds of the season in that part of the country. I am thankful however that he comes home to PEI to spend the Holidays with Mom & Dad every year!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful post and have a lovely weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Deb said...

Oh, What a beautiful post. You have some magnificent ornaments and I loved them all. I only live 5 hours from Oakville but have never visited at Christmas. I will make a point of doing that sometime. We always have a 10 ft. tree in our home and the past few years have walked across the road to the tree-farm and chopped down our own. I love it and the smell of Christmas in the home is wonderful. Drop by and see some of my ornaments. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

Nancy said...

Just lovely! There is just something about the perfect Christmas setting that makes this time of year the best. Happy Pink Saturday!

Vee said...

Right there with you as you describe your former community. It sounds very special indeed, but I have a feeling that every place you've ever lived is a special one. I'm coming back to look at the video tomorrow!

Celestial Charms said...

Hi Karen,
This is my first time visiting your blog, as I saw a comment you left on Natasha from Australia's blog. I'm so glad I stopped by! Such a lovely post, and so many beautiful photographs and memories. Love your music too!
Maureen

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Karen Sweetie...
Oh my thank you so much for taking me on this beautiful tour of Oakville in Canada. I have so enjoyed your descriptions and your decorations. What a quaint place to visit. Postcard perfect.

I love the photo of your tree. I can't even imagine a 12 foot tree. I get dizzy taking care of a 7 foot tree.

Have a beautiful Pink Saturday sweet friend. I so enjoyed the music. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Sarah said...

What beautiful memories of a Christmas past. Thanks for sharing the beauty of your home decorated for the holidays and the memories of Oakville. Happy Pink Saturday!

June said...

Hi Karen,
You make me want to go visit this beautiful place. Isn't it amazing how a place from our past has the power to make our hearts turn to it at different times of the year? Your country is full of beautiful places of which I would love to visit.
Blessings

Cindy said...

I loved all the pictures, Christmas in Canada is beautiful. I have lived in Canada my whole life, I am glad it is one of your cherished memories.
love, love your pictures, and your beautiful card at the end. take care, happy holiday season.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Karen, I missed you last week. I have so many questions about Spoonflower; Ruben still has to help me open up an account so I can get the ball rolling! I will email you soon with my questions. Your home in Ontario is lovely, and I bet you have the best memories; living in different parts of the country and world has been a rich experience for me. Wishing you a lovely weekend dear, Anita

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Beautiful Karen! Having bee raised in Montreal I concur with you that Christmas time in Canada is very special!
My best memory is a Christmas spent up north of Montreal in the Laurentien Mountains. All the small French villages decorate each street and the lights, colors and wonderful smell of fresh baked goods....now I'm homesick again....lol
Have a great weekend and thanks for the wonderful memories. Oh and I love that last picture, is that some of your work? Beautiful!
Tina xo

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Karen,
I just love this post and seeing all your wonderful decor through the years at Christmas. Reading of your memories in different places brings back so many for me through all our moves.
I so enjoyed your Christmas card of treasures and walking with you down memory lane.

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.
Blessings to you and hugs from Texas.
Celestina Marie

LaVerne said...

Thanks so much for stopping by on Pink Saturday...Your post is lovely and the candle story is just the best ever...OK, you've done it...I'm officially in the Christmas spirit! Happy decorating and celebrating...Have a Pink Week.

Kathleen Grace said...

How fun to see another of your beautiful homes all decked out for Christmas and to hear all about your life in another time and place! Happy memories are wonderful to have. May you make many more this CHristmas season my friend:>)

Rebecca said...

How fun-seeing your past Christmas decorations!!!!

Donnie said...

I love reliving your memories with you. they are always more poignant around this time of year. Beautiful photo's. Happy Pink Saturday.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Sounds like a wonderful and magical place to have lived. Thanks for sharing the sweet memories!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Karen,

I love the little canopy bed and I'm spying several things from your Etsy shops. ♥

Thanks so much for dropping by for a visit. I've missed visiting with you.

Have a wonderful day,
Stephanie ♥

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Karen,your visits are always a delight to me and your kind words sincere blessings to my soul. May you enjoy a wonderful and reflective Sunday. I LOVE THIS WEATHER...call me strange, but I so love the winter!!! Anita

Natasha in Oz said...

Now that looks like my kind of Christmas! I have always dreamed of having a Christmas Card kind of Christmas. You are so lucky to have so many amazing places!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

NanE said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Great post today. My hubby is from Ontario and his sister lived in an area very close to the area you are describing. Have a great week, Nan

Nancy said...

Always such a treat to visit here, Karen. Loved your story and all your lovely pictures and drawings. HPS! :) Nancy

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Karen, oh what a beautiful post and wonderful, warm memories of Christmas in Canada..I love your pictures and sharing those memories with you..

thank you Karen for stopping by and visiting, it is always appreciated!

Barb

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Karen, oh what a beautiful post and wonderful, warm memories of Christmas in Canada..I love your pictures and sharing those memories with you..

thank you Karen for stopping by and visiting, it is always appreciated!

Barb

Elaine said...

What a treasure of memories you have.. Nothing like neighbors and friendsand family to help complete Christmas.
Beautiful pictures on your post.

Patricia said...

Happy Pink Saturday ! I hope your Thanksgiving was full
of family, friends, and fabulous friends.I really love the stuffed skate photo. I have enjoyed my
visit to your beautiful blog. Have a wonderful new week.

Gail said...

Great post, love hearing your memories, I could picture it all. Thank you for sharing.
Hugs
Gail

JD/ Jill said...

Lovely photos, thank you for sharing. They certainly helped me to start to get in the spirit of Christmas season which is about to begin...Have a great week...

Jeanne said...

Karen, I enjoyed this post so much. I couldn't help thinking of Claudie, Bubblin' Over, who lives on a lake in Canada.

Your photos are wonderful and your story about your life in Canada was so charming and heartwarming. That tree is beautiful and so is this lovely Christmas card post.
Hugs, Jeanne

fiberdoodles said...

Oh such sweet Christmas memories. Thank you so much for sharing them. Your ornaments are beautiful! Happy Pink Saturday!!

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, my dear friend.

Our memories are such special treasures. They bring us smiles and warm our hearts. You are so good about sharing your heart with all of us. I believe you give God a big smile, too.♥

Thank you for this lovely post, but mostly thank you for being our friend.

Anonymous said...

This was fun Karen! You have some warm and lovely memories always cherished in the heart. Happy Pink Saturday. xoxo

Stephanie said...

I loved revisiting your past Christmas with you. So many great memories of the holiday season. May this year's Christmas be just as memorable! Thanks for sharing. Stephanie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy belated Pink Saturday karen! This was a lovely post. I did not know you once lived in Canada! It sounds like you have many wonderful memories of that time in your life. The Christmas tree you had then was so beautiful!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Karen, you shared your Christmas memories so beautifully. I just had the Christmas card feeling reading your words and looking at your photos. It sounds like a wonderful place. laurie

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -