My Love Affair

DSC08826

DSC08826

DSC08809It's hard to say exactly,

DSC08826

DSC08809when I started to fall in love.

DSC08796

DSC08809Was it when I lived in Manhattan and would walk down streets along Fifth Avenue.  On my way to the Garment District to browse for ribbon, as I listened to Burt Bacharach on my walkman?

DSC08804

DSC08809Or was it when I had my favorite ribbon and button shop nearby when I lived in  Princeton, New Jersey?

DSC08797

DSC08809Maybe it was when I would visit the "Ribbon Lady" on Ladder Street in Hong Hong.

DSC08801

DSC08809Oh, I know it was when I visited that wonderful ribbon shop on Queens Street West in Toronto.

DSC08799

DSC08809 Most recently a recipe for inspiration after discovering Kaari Meng's new book.  Then again, I knew that the feeling was there all along...my love affair with ribbon.

My creation

My Grandmother 1918I found some Vintage ribbon treasures, which I sent over to my shop,  Aunt Adelaide's Attic.

My Grandmother



The song for this post is The Look Of Love, by dreamy Burt Bacharach.  Have I ever told you what a crush I had on him when I was in my twenties?  sigh.


DSC08826

Today is Mosaic Monday and Mary from Little Red House is hosting.  Stop by and visit all the lovely mosaics.
Elyse said...

oh, karen! what a charming post!

so fun how your love of ribbon is easily weaved throughout your many adventures.

i can imagine a crush on burt b. -- he was kinda groovy back then!

with lots of love, health and happiness for the new year ~

xo
elyse

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

lovely post karen.....

thank you for your well wishes,,,,
xo
penny

Alison Gibbs said...

Karen what anamazing array of ribbons.
Thanks for the congratulations on Evie's arrival. I was going to email you but seem to have lost your email address when changing over to a laptop
Take care
Alison

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I don't know what it is about ribbon, but I too am smitten, always have been!

HAPPY NEW YEAR DEAR KAREN! Anita

Snap said...

Karen,

Always a beautiful post. Love your LOVE AFFAIR with Ribbons!

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Karen,

Well, these ribbons are awesome!
And the song...OMG! Love it!
But I have to say that I am huge fan of Diana Krall.
You should also listen to her version...

Sunny skies in Toronto.

~ Gabriela ~

Vee said...

Such a beautifully done mosaic on a unique topic. Burt B? Well, no, I don't believe I knew that interesting fact about you! :D

Karen said...

Happy New Year!
"Beautiful BLOG! I love your adventures!! Your art is wonderful you are a true creative soul!
I am now following your blog. (I hope you will visit my blog too and follow if you like what you see. :)"
www.creativeyearnings.blogspot.com

Tristan Robin said...

What a wonderful post - and the photos are yummy! I have quite a collection of ribbon, too. Of course, I use it sometimes in my work, so I can justify it LOL.

You lived in Princeton?! My first job out of college was at the Hunterdon Art Center, and I lived in Clinton! Maybe we met at some time!

I admire your courage and strength to admit you liked Burt Bachrach. There were several things about Burt I loved: A) Dionne Warwicke; B) Promises, Promises; C) Angie Dickinson

Kathleen Grace said...

I certainly understand the attraction (to ribbon, if not to Burt Bacharach, Lol!) I have a basket full and still when I see a pretty new ribbon I have to have it:>) I hope your new year is filled with beautiful things!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

A lovely mosaic of ribbon and roses.

A Garden of Threads said...

Karen, a wonderful post. Beautiful pictures of one of my favorite things. Happy New Year.

Gwendolyn said...

What a refreshing walk through your lovely post! Just gorgeous. Thank you and blessings to you in this New Year Karen!

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely post, the ribbons are all beautiful. A rainbow of colors. I wish you and yours all the best in 2011.

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -