Sunday, April 14, 2013

Quilting Inspiration


I have always walked into fabric shops and felt at home.  Fabric has always stirred my creativity, yet I can't sew.    I would often ask myself why was I so fascinated with fabric?  I still get a thrill when I walk into a quilting shop.


Often I would tell myself to stop being silly and stick to what I knew, which was my first love...Paper.
Please take me home and create some of your own French inspiration
When I started designing fabric, I wanted to learn everything possible about what people might need.  I browsed stacks of books, magazines and often would spend time in a nearby quilting shop.


One of the things that I was most in love with is the "jelly roll", "charms" and "layer cakes" for quilting.  I especially love the stacks of charm packs.  Each charm has a bit of a design and measures 5" by 5".



TADA!  I took a dozen of my French inspired fabric designs and created a fat quarter.  Twelve different charms measuring 5" x 5" but with a hem allowance.  One yard is home to 48 charms.

I call this bundle A French Inspiration Charm Pack.


I am so excited because I noticed that the charm packs that are out there often just give you a section of the repeat.  I tried to create a vivid part of each of my designs.  I also noticed that the charm packs are cut to the edge of the design, so I added a hem allowance for quilters who would need that.

One of my favorite quilters is Camille Roskelley.  I have her book Simplify and now she has a new one called Simply Retro.  I love her house quilt patterns.


So, for the price of just one yard of fabric, a customer can have 48 charms.  I have matching fabric by the yard for each design, hoping that a quilter could easily match the back of the quilt to coordinate perfectly.   A customer can choose to cut the fabric with a 1/4 inch hem allowance or straight to the edge of each square.


Quilts make the loveliest mosaics.  I am linking to Mosaic Monday over at Mary's Little Red House.







Post a Comment