Project Blogway








oday is Project Blogway, hosted by the lovely Lisa from A Whimsical Bohemian and Terisa from Sabii Wabii. There will be a list of people designing Paper Dresses on Terisa's Project Blogway post on her blog and Lisa's blog.



My creationI love paper, so the idea of creating a dress out of paper really inspired me. I started off with some sketches. This is Louise, she is a model from Paris and she is my favorite runway model.



Then I gathered some favorite papers, especially some hand-made papers, and toile paper tape.



Double-sided tape, a few brads and my favorite hole puncher were all the tools I needed.

Project-Blogway-7

I always have black and white toile tissue paper on hand to wrap my Etsy packages. This tissue paper has a scalloped edge, so I thought it was perfect for the trim of the scarf.




Paper lace detail.



Paper bows add just the right detail, and I can't resist black and white toile paper.

Project-Blogway-8

The perfect accessory...paper flowers of course. How about a bitty paper bee?



Little paper bows with a snowflake brad.



coffee filters, paper, toile paper tape, and tissue paper.


Project-Blogway-1, originally uploaded by bluebirdsandteapots.



I designed this dress for my Once upon a time figure...


mosaic4654758, originally uploaded by bluebirdsandteapots.



I love texture, and designing a paper dress is just like designing any mixed-media...it's in the details.





The front of the dress hung on a virtual dress form.



The back of the dress without the scarf.



I don't have a dress form or mannequin, but I do have a garment rack in my laundry room. I took a hanger half-form and used that to design the dress as it hung from my garment rack. Here is the finished dress on the rack. I used to love watching the racks of clothes being wheeled down the street in Manhattan in the garment district.





Every little paper party frock needs a little paper purse. I found this paper bag, made from Japanese newspaper, folded in only a way that the Oragami culture can do.


I embellished this purse for evening attire.



So, here comes Louise down the runway.



Louise-modelinlg-dres

Now it is time to join Project Blogway and see all the designers of paper dresses. So, please stop by A Whimsical Bohemian and see the list on Lisa's Blog. Lisa is one of the most talented ladies, and she hosts One World One Heart every year. I love her blog. Be sure to visit Terisa at Sabii Wabii. She was a dress designer and had a line of clothing for Neiman Marcus...I can only imagine what these two ladies have designed!! Ladies, these flowers are for you. Thank you for the inspiration.






magazine3449498, originally uploaded by bluebirdsandteapots.

LiLi M. said...

Karen, this is really amazing!! I love this! All! The dress is gorgeous, what lovely details! I love the hemline, with the bows and the ruffles and I love how you have turned this paper dress into a sketch on a runway model. You are so talented! I'm off to see some other models! Have a nice day with all visitors to come and to admire!

MARIA said...

I am enchanted.
Karen, I love your artwork!


My best wishes!

Tracy said...

Hello, Karen! Such fun to come back from vacation and find all this...What fanastic, imaginative creations with paper! Love all the paper ruffles & lace! Happy Day :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karen!!! Your design is exquisite. I love the hem, and that it is accentuated by the black bows.

Louise is definitely going to turn heads and get cheers when she goes down the runway in this stunner.

Kathleen Grace said...

What a great dress Karen, and in my favorite colors and patterns! You have really outdone yourself with this project. Too cute!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Karen this is marvelous! I love all of the amazing details on this dress. And of course, the toile! Just beautiful!
Penny

Anonymous said...

Your dress is beautiful...I love the story and how you photographed your design. You are amazing.
I am loving this Project :)

Lisa Kettell said...

Karen,
This is absolutely Breathtaking, Gorgeous! The details, down to the last embellishment is extraordinairy!

Magic and Much Joy!
Lisa!

Anonymous said...

Karen, your talents are endless! Not only are you and artist and writer---you are a dress designer as well! I so enjoyed learning how you combined the different papers to complete your frock! The purse---oh, it IS th perfect touch!
What fun! Dana

Gabriela said...

Hello Karen,

What a great job you did with this fantastic piece! I love it!

*Come visit and see the amazing featured artists...

~ Gabriela ~

Anonymous said...

Your project is out of this world! I love everything about it. Coffee filters - they look beautiful and the hat is outstanding. Have a wonderful day.

suze said...

Great dress Karen! I love how it's already on a magazine cover!

rochambeau said...

Beautiful Karen!! Your paper gown turned out great! I would like to wear this pretty frock! Thanks for reminding me to check out project Blogway! Have fun with all the designers today!

xox
Constance

Anonymous said...

Oh this is tres chic -
I love the little purse, especially!

Anonymous said...

So very Coco Chanel. I loved it. Your talents are amazing. I once won a contest for designing a wedding dress with toilet paper. Once you get into it the creativity just flows. Your dress is gorgeous Karen. Wherever do you get toile tape?

Anonymous said...

I would wear your dress, I would! Your choice of papers are some of my very very favorite!! And your creative photo shoot,Miss Karen, bravissssima!! xoxoo

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This knocked me out Karen, it's so chic and Parisian and stunning. You left no detail out including accessories....I am beyond amazed. Now why didn't I think of coffee filters!! I just love seeing where each persons imagination goes.
I am SOOOOO happy you participated in this - just look at your creation. The sketches, the final magazine cover....EXCELLENT!!
XOXOXOXOXO

Sandra Evertson said...

I am blown away!
Your designer sketches are Wonderful and the dress, well it is Incredible!
Sandra Evertson

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Karen. You have excelled yourself with this amazing creation! What a wonderful thing to do.
My Love to you & your friend at this stressful time for her. Always thinking of you.
Blessings, Suze xXx

Donna said...

Karen, the dress turned out beautiful! And I love the paper purse too! Amazing!

Hugs,
Donna

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

You never cease to amaze me with your talents. I am so blown away by this beautiful creation. Havw a great day...m..

turquoise cro said...

O! Coffee filters!!! I'll drink to that! I didn't even think of those! I have plenty of those on hand! Your dress is SooOOOOOoo SWEET!!!I wish Heidi could seeeee this one too! WOOT!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Karen, Well Louise steals the show. I Love this dress. What a fabulous creation!! And, you know how much I love the toile. Yes, it's all in the details and you never miss a thing right down to the evening bag. Standing ovation my friend. You are a runway hit!
I had to be gone today, but looking forward to visiting more participants tonight.
Have a great evening and see you again soon.
Blessings, Celestina

gma said...

Oh You are IN! This is great!!!
Lovely design and model.
Hasn't this been a fun project??

Fete et Fleur said...

I love this! You did a beautiful job.

Nancy

Unknown said...

You are very talented Karen...what else can I say..everything is just beautiful..btw, do you have that dress in my size haha..much love and hugs!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun story and post! The dress is so French and fun~I love the black combo and my favorite part of your dress is the bottom ruffles and bows. I will never look at coffee filters the same again:)
Well done!
~Christine

Anonymous said...

Heidi would be proud!!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

OMG!!!
It is so exquisite!
and the colors give the sense of another time, a beautiful romantic time ;-)
Great job!

One Knit One Purl said...

Karen,

This is excellent. Very nice. Coco Chanel would be proud!

Love, Susan

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -