Pink Saturday, The Gift of Giving

Lake Champlain




oday is Pink Saturday and the lovely Bev from How Sweet The Sound is hosting the day. Bev asked us to write about our favorite Holiday tradition.



Christmas Church Street

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-My family's favorite tradition was taught to us by my mother. She always found ways to give to the poor this time of year.





doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-Nestled in the cozy town of South Burlington, Vermont is a lovely complex for Retired folks.

Vermont mountains and winter sky

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-My mom lives there and it is the sweetest place.

Lake Champlain Chocolates



doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-Every year she collects food for the poor just like she has always done throughout all my Christmas memories.

Church Street shopping

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-She takes the shuttle bus from her complex over to the local Supermarket and picks up the apple boxes that she will use for both her her building and the building across from hers.

Lake Champlain
doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-She carefully arranges them and puts up signs everywhere asking for food donations. Last year she collected 550 pounds of food.

Weekend in Vermont

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-This year she was a bit worried how much food she would collect, given the economy.

Moonlight over Vermont

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-Many of the people living there are on social security and barely make ends meet.

Pigeons under an eagle's wings

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-Yesterday she told me that she is overwhelmed with gratitude. Mom told me the boxes are overflowing this year with food, which will be picked up on Monday.

Vermont Winter Sky

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-What an example, what a reminder that many of these people from my mom's generation lived through the depression. They stood on bread lines and lines waiting for a cake of soap.

Old Fashioned Christmas

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-This is a generation of true compassion and an example to all of us to take any opportunity this Christmas to give to the less fortunate.

Chocolate Santas

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-I heard Marmee say when Joyce and I attended A Fireside Christmas at Orchard house a few weeks ago...



"No matter how poor we are or feel, there is always someone else who has less than we do."

My Dear Little House

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas- I wrote a story about my favorite Christmas called The Gift of Christmas on my Christmas Blog. Another memory of a special chapter with my mom, filled with Christmas miracles to warm your heart.

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-

doris-as-a-little-girl-christmas-Here is a photo of my mom, Doris when she was a little girl. Although Doris just turned eight-three last June, that same sweet spirit is still alive lighting up whenever she has an opportunity to give.

Oh, and I have this little watercolor painting of a Christmas tree that I would like to give away. Just leave a comment and I will announce the winner on Monday so that I surely get it in the mail in time for Christmas.






The song for this post is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.
Blondie's Journal said...

This made me almost cry, Karen. Your mother has a big heart. Your photos, artwork and images are beautiful. I love the painting of your home. Tell me you will make it a set of cards...it represents 'Home'. And of course I love the Christmas tree!

Happy holidays to you and a big hug to your Mom! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Snap said...

Merry, Merry, Karen.

Wonderful post.

Joyce said...

I just love all your stories about your mom. You'll half to take me to visit her one of these days I'm dying to meet her. If you have any time next week give me a call so we can hang out and have a badly needed "Mental Health" day.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

This is a most touching and beautifully presented story about a great lady, Karen. What a blessing to have a momma who has such a bright spirit and goal to reach out. Age is only a sweet opportunity to do more and reach out in circles where wisdom takes us....she is a blessing, Karen! Thank you for this lovely post. Anita

Bellen said...

Your mother is wonderful and instills good in everyone she touches.

Carol said...

Bless her heart! Thanks for sharing your mom with us today!

Beverly said...

Your mother is beautiful and has a beautiful heart. You are like her.

Thank you, Karen, for always shining the light in your heart.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Karen your posts always have such meaning. I try to never miss one. Your card is a lovely work of art. May you have a very happy holiday.Sharon

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Karen... this post is so sweet it makes me want to cry. You are so much like your mother, and that's obviously where that kind and generous spirit you have was inherited. That's so neat that she does this for people in need, and I hope her blessings are just overflowing as a result.

I also want to thank you SO much for my postcards. I did cry when I received them, and I thought of how my paternal ancestors had walked in that very space. It was AWESOME to see it. Thank you SO much, my sweet friend. And thank you for just being wonderful YOU!

I adore that painting. That tree is truly amazing. You are one very talented lady. Thank you for your generosity to all of us in blogland who who have the priviledge of knowing you and calling you friend. I would love to put my name in the hat. It is an amazing treasure, and I know whoever wins it will be thrilled!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Gabriela said...

Hello Karen,

What a wonderful post. A fabulous story of the great Mother you have!


~ Gabriela ~

Antique Therapy said...

Thanks for stopping by today! I am glad you are enjoying the french pattern, I know you will do something cool with it and I can't wait to see what that will be! I am sorry I couldn't chat more with you today, I had to get home to relieve the babysitter. I hope you have a great holiday to with your family.

See you soon,

Keri

Antique Therapy said...

I also wanted to say, It is nice to see that good people still exist like your mom! That is a great thing that she does every year. I need to start doing things like this to help the less fortunate. There are alot of people in this world that just need a little break and some big love!! Kudos to your mom!

Keri

Lisa said...

I enjoyed your post. My mother also has a big heart. She is 84 and on a very limited income, but still wants to send "care packages" to her friends that are ill or needing attention. It's wonderful to have a caring mother. Merry Christmas to you and her!
http://ofgraceandpearls.blogspot.com/

caren said...

Karen ~ Such a beautiful post and what a beautiful person your mother is inside and out! It always feels so good to help someone else - wish more people were like your Mom. Maybe the world would be a happier place.

Your Christmas tree is gorgeous but everything you paint is amazing!

Happy Pink Saturday and Merry Christmas!

Kathy said...

What a sweet story and what a sweet mom you have, Karen. She's a wonderful example for all of us to follow.
Merry Christmas...Kathy

Susie Jefferson said...

A wonderful Christmas tradition, and a wonderful song to add as the soundtrack. Just lovely.

Happy Happy Pink Saturday!

Beverly said...

Good morning, dear Karen. You are the first person I thought of when I woke this morning. And, that thought put a big smile on my face.

I shared your experience yesterday with my mother, and she said to tell you and your mother to have a Merry Christmas.

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage said...

That was such a beautiful post Karen. Your mom is so lovely. Thank you for sharing all that goodness with us today.
Wishing you and yours a blessed Christmas. hugs..Tami

Katie said...

Oh touched my heart so.......thank you for sharing! Happy Pink Saturday and Merry Christmas!

Betzie said...

What a wonderful thing your mom does for others and how lucky you are to have her!
Love Vermont and all your pics too. The watercolor is just lovely.
Blessings to you and yours.

Sandra said...

Your tradition certainly speaks to the heart of Christmas and giving. A very blessed and loving memory.

Kathleen Grace said...

I read your story and it was beautiful:>) You have such a sweet heart Karen, and I can see it is inherited from your dear Mother!

Betty said...

That is wonderful Karen! I am sure that thinking about others who are less fortunate keeps your mom young! Have a wonderful Christmas and wish your mom a wonderful one as well!

Regina said...

Wonderful tradition of love and giving! You are so blessed to have your mom.
Merry Christmas.
Happy PS.

Regards

Regina

vickie said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Karen. This is a beautiful blog, and reminds me so much of my mother in so many ways. She was a very giving person too. Cherish every moment with your Mom. Your pictures are beautiful, as always. Merry Christmas!

Sarah said...

Beautiful story about your mom. My mom, 95, has always set a good example of thriftyness. Those who lived through the depression learned many life long lessons. Thank you for sharing this story and these amazing photos. Best wishes to you and your mom for the happiest Christmas.
Your watercolor is terrific. I'd be honored to be entered in your give away. Your little painting would become one of my cherished Christmas items.

Unknown said...

Karen, what a lovely, lovely story about your mother who is truly an inspiration. She is a real gem!

Your pictures are fantastic and the one of your home is just beautiful.

Thank you so much for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday!

Merry Christmas,
Teresa

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, What a wonderful tradition. Your mother sounds like such a special person. We always give to the Salvation Army because if it wasn't for them my hubby would not have had a Christmas most times when he was growing up. I popped by because I wanted to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I have really enjoyed getting to know you.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Karen,

What a beautiful post and loved reading about your Mother, what a beautiful Lady.
So wonderful to see the generous and kind spirit of those that we can look up to. Sounds like my Mother, she was always doing things to help others.
Love the paintings of the home and Christmas tree.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas
Hugs
Carolyn

MARIA said...

Thank you my dear Karen for being my friend
and for your beautiful, inspiration work!

Wesołych Świąt i Szczęsliwego Nowego 2010 Roku
for you my sweet friend
and for your family!

maria

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Karen,
Such a cute picture of your Mom. You should make that into a card.
I won another thing on e'bay, should be here this week, it a whole bunch of Christmas papers. When it comes I will post a picture.
Have a Merry Christmas and I would love to be in your drawing for the pretty card.
Nancy Jo

Light and Voices said...

Merry Christmas, Karen. Your mom is so sweet to collect food for the poor. You must be so proud of your mom.
Joyce, IL, USA

dana said...

What a lovely post, Karen! Your mom sounds like a fantastic lady with an enormous heart! L, Dana

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -